Monday, March 12, 2007

What is a Saint? Are You a Good Person?

Source of post and pictures: Enemy

What is a Saint? Are You a Good Person?

I've been scattered in pieces,torn by conflict,mocked by laughter,washed down in drink....I am a house gutted by fire. Rilke


I never knew much about Mother Teresa, but last night I watched a movie about her. I was fascinated and even my son enjoyed it. So I began doing some reading today. As a medievalist and a strange Catholic, I am familiar with the term saint. In Catholic terms, saints are either martyrs or staunch confessors of the faith though word and deed. I am aware of how the various Protestant denominations quote Paul as saying that we are all God's saints. That term always troubled me, because people are flawed and some Christians have done more to taint Christ than help him. I think people, be they of any religion, agnostic or atheistic, would like to view themselves as good people. As the standards of society go lower and America especially grows more alienated and selfish, it doesn't take much to be good--we are dealing with a very low common denominator. But Mother Teresa, along with St.Francis, are among the few Christians worthy of the term saint. I cannot think of two people who exemplified true charity toward others.


If you have tried working the 12 step program, you were most likely taught the prayer of St. Francis. I won't repeat the whole thing, but here are some key elements: "Oh, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled--as to console, to be understood--as to understand, to be loved--as to love." St.Francis was often called the most perfect Christian, second only to Christ himself. He knew the scripture and scrupulously practiced the law of poverty and service to others. Many of the fattened bishops and cardinals feared St. Francis: the people were dedicated to him, plus many of these churchmen were about as committed to Christ as my cat. Possibly St. Francis showed them for what they were, and no one likes that.


Enter Mother Teresa. She dedicated every day of her adult life caring for "The dying, the cripple, the mentally ill, the unwanted, the unloved" and she loved every minute of it because she was loving, she was cleaning, feeding "Jesus in disguise". She felt called to serve God by age 12, but it wasn't until she saw the state of abject poverty in Calcutta that she decided to leave her order and serve those who everyone had turned their back on--the lost sheep. This woman feared nothing: illness, disdain, useless documentation, backlash or poverty because she felt that Jesus himself had spoken to her and told her that this was her mission. She heard God when most of us cannot hear each other speak. Another saying of hers:"It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving." She exhorted her followers to always show kindness and a cheerful face as they performed their duties, as though it was from their deepest desire, not some law that had to be obeyed. I know that not everyone was a big fan of Mother Teresa, and I will get some negative comments here. I'm okay with that.
I think of these two saints because I too would like to hear the voice of God, and not like a schizophrenic, but as a genuine communication of mission. These two show me everything that is wrong in today's church: we have so many Pharisees, wanting to show their religiosity (choose your faith--it doesn't have to be Christian). They pray aloud with great eloquence, they make empty promises, they look so good in front of everyone else. That may get them through this life comfortably, but what good are they doing for anyone who needs it? Do they give to the homeless? Do they make a stand against bigotry in all forms? Do they comfort those who are desperately unhappy? My pastor preached about the 5 deaths in Philly that happened on Saturday alone--there is a gang war going on, and it has broken the 100 degree mark. So things are bad. He challenged us: "Are you going to enjoy the culture of Center City Philly while ignoring this other city that is ripping itself apart?" The big cliche is What Would Jesus Do? Let me take it a step further: What would Mother Teresa and St. Francis Do? What am I going to do? Religious or not, is it right to ignore those who need us the most? I hope I am equal to the challenge.

6 comments:

BrickBalloon said...

Thank you for your post. Mother Teresa and St. Francis and incredible examples for us to look up to as we make decisions about how to live our lives. The Bible says that we are known by our fruit, and they are wonderful examples of that.

I am struck by your comment about it being easier to be a good person now than it has been in the past. I suppose it depends on whose standards you are using. Yes, based on human (secular) standards it might be easier to be "good" -- my guess is because it seems more people celebrate their sin making for a more stark contrast.

But who sets the true standard for determining who is good? God, of course. What does the Bible tell us about our ability to meet that standard... to be good? None of us are good (Romans 6:23) we all fall short of God's standard of good and that's why we all deserve the punishment of hell.

Here's an interesting web site that has what is called the Good Person Test. It askes the question: Would you consider yourself to be a good person? Then it goes through a few questions to see if you truly are a good person.

About six months ago I saw an excellent film about Mother Teresa, although I'm not sure it's the same one you saw. She had incredible faith and she humbly lived that faith. If we had the opportunity to ask Mother Teresa and St. Francis the question, "Would you consider yourself to be a good person", what do you think they would say?

Enemy of the Republic said...

I think you misunderstood my statement about goodness--it was very tongue in cheek because I followed it by discussing the lowest common denominator. I think people are no more better now then they were in the day of St. Francis, Jesus, Moses, Noah, you name it. I think we have found ways to convince ourselves that we are "good people" through self esteem help books, performing actions without mindfulness or going through empty rituals. Jesus said that it isn't what goes in the human but what comes out, and if that is the case, then I am very unhappy with the state of mankind. If good is measured through the goodness of God, then none of us are good, not even these two people who seemed more aware of their sinful nature as they tried to help those in need. So you and I are definitely in agreement. I will take that test!

Kerry Hancock Jr said...

Enemy your reply was very well said. I don't think you could have made things more clear. I am so glad to see the spiritual understanding that you shared. God be with you at all times.

Kerry Hancock Jr said...

Thank you for sharing the Good Person Test. I will be checking out your blog(s) as well. Glory to God.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Thank you very much. Cruel Virgin is largely secular--I am on one Christian blog, but I have a private site where I do my spiritual musings along with my prayer journal. I'd be happy to send you more posts if you would like them. I am a weird Christian, but a Christian nevertheless. I try to see the world through Christ's eyes as he walked the earth. I realize that his message caused great division, but he also reached out to those who needed him and were socially undesirable. I try to think how he must have had the discernment and wisdom to relate to such people, knowing what he did.

Kerry Hancock Jr said...

I would like to see anything you feel led to share. Jesus said himself that he came into the world to help the lost.... I think we are all weird christians.LOL. Really, we are all the reason Jesus Christ had to die therefore all glory to Him. Blessings!